The Parks Trust
To create beautiful and inspirational parks, lakes and landscapes that will be loved by the people of Milton Keynes, forever.
The Parks Trust is an independent, self-funded charity that cares for and maintains for over 6,000 acres of parkland and green space across Milton Keynes. As well as Willen Lake, this includes the river valleys, ancient woodlands, lakesides, parks and landscaped areas alongside the main roads. We ensure these spaces are expertly maintained and managed and also plan, develop and invest for the future, so that everyone can enjoy the outdoors, now and forever. We also continue to take ownership of additional areas of green space as Milton Keynes expands.
In most places parks are owned and managed by the local authority but the city's founders wanted to be sure that such a unique green landscape would be managed and protected forever, without having to compete for funds with other council priorities. So, The Parks Trust was created in 1992 to care for most of the city's green space and was endowed with a substantial property and investment portfolio. The income from this portfolio pays for the vital work of nurturing and enhancing the landscape.
We safeguard the land and the environment for future generations
We take personal pride in whatever we do
We take ownership for our decisions
We are always open and honest
We form relationships that allow us to share expertise, listen and learn
We work together as one cohesive team
What we do
- We maintain 6,000 acres of parks, lakes and woods, including around 80 miles of landscaped areas alongside the grid roads.
- We continually improve our parks by providing new facilities, increasing biodiversity and enhancing habitats. We also work with developers, Milton Keynes Development Partnership and Milton Keynes Council to bring more green space in to our stewardship.
- We organise over 200 events in the parks each year, provide environmental education programmes for hundreds of schools and nearly 6,000 children.
- We are supported by a fantastic team of over 200 volunteers.
- The income from our diverse investment and property portfolio funds our work developing and maintaining parks and green space in Milton Keynes.